Sunday, August 11, 2013

Life is Good.

Hello my dear sweet friends and family! I would have posted sooner, but alas, the internet in my apartment is not working. In fact I wrote this Sunday afternoon and couldn't post it until I went to the office to turn in some things Monday morning. I'm sorry that I haven't been able to update y'all.

The flight to Japan went fine. It was LONG. But fine. Nothing too exciting. I had a nice neighbor for the 12 hour flight. I went through customs in Tokyo in only about 45 minutes. It was crazy fast! I made my flight to my second flight with no problems. About an hour later I landed in Nagoya. A teacher here and I found each other then went to catch the bus. I had about an hour ride until we got off in my new city. I shortly after walked into my new apartment.

My apartment just cracks me up. The sink in the bathroom barely goes past my knee. Yesterday to fix my hair I brought a chair in front of the mirror in order to see. I could barely see still! The peep hole doesn't come to my shoulder. If only you could see how I have to bend to look out of it! I have decided my apartment was made for hobbits. I'll post pictures of everything soon!

My first full day I was shown around by a teacher here. I went to the office, listened to a short presentation about cell phones. Which I can't get until I get my work visa and residence card. So I have been getting online on my phone whenever I get the chance to be able to send short updates. I also went to a restaurant where sushi goes past on a conveyor belt. It was so good! I am going to work my way up to eating raw meat. I had two pieces of sushi that had some raw something. But I set my goal of a piece of sushi that has uncooked tentacles on rice. I. Am. Going. To. Eat. It.

I saw my classroom! It was used as a meeting room last year and before that it was the music room. So it is full of chairs, extra desks, a piano, three guitars, and other random things. Everything that was in the old third grade room was put in the middle of the room in boxes. There are many things that need to be taken out, and many things that I need, such as all furniture. I currently have no where to put books, bag packs, shoes. I am also missing a teacher desk and computer. While currently the sight and thought of it stresses my out a bit, I love it. I love that I have a classroom where I will teach my 13 students. (Yes, 13, my class shrunk by two.) I know that I most likely wont have everything the way I want it by the time school starts, on the 19th, but it will be great! I have my very own classroom and I love it. Boxes, piano, guitars and all.

Church this morning was wonderful. We sang in both English and Japanese. There are people from all over the world. I think this will be where I go to church. For those in my Sunday school class back home I smiled when the sermon started. Guess what book the church is studying? Mark. I hope that makes you wonderful ladies smile as well. After church I went to lunch with some missionaries that have lived here for two years. I also met one of my students at church! His father is one of the pastors and works in a nearby seminary. If you would pray for his mother who was recently diagnosed with cancer.

Guys. The staff here are wonderful. Most of the staff is new to Japan this year. Several of them taught in South Korea together. Many of the staff has taught with NICS before, in Korea, Surname, Kenya, and China. There is such a love among the staff. From first meeting I felt like I was meeting long lost family. It's going to be a great working here.


I'm sure you were expecting some blog about how different life is here. And it's honestly not so different. We walk or ride bikes (I get mine today!), to the store, or church, or work. While most of what I see or hear is not understandable to me, everything feels so normal that it's strange. I didn't expect to feel so normal. And I know that I'm in the 'honeymoon' stage and that culture shock may kick in soon. But right now, life is good.  

4 comments:

  1. Righteous!
    Lemme see them wheels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh that's amazing Brie!!!! That peace you feel there is TOTALLY God! That just goes to show that this is where you are meant to be! Sounds like a dream! and you KNOWWWW I love the hobbit sized apartment haha!!! Sweet! .....and I'll definitely be praying for your student's mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excited for you and so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brie, missed you in Sunday school today but I am so excited over everything for you. By the way Scout went to Bible School at her church. They had a four year old class. She wanted me to let you know. Becky

    ReplyDelete