Saturday, August 24, 2013

One Week Down, A Lifetime To Go!

Well, I successfully made it through my first week of teaching. 

Were there challenges? Oh goodness yes. Do I love my students dearly? You better believe it.

On Sunday night I had my first wave of homesickness. While getting in bed I thought "Tomorrow as soon as school ends I'll call my parents to... No I won't call them because it will be 2 am for them." There were more thoughts like this and in a very short time I was laying in bed crying. I turned on my light and pulled out my Bible and the sweet notes of encouragement written by my dear friends before I moved. After spending a good deal of time being encouraged by God and by friends I went to sleep after midnight. This is not the best way to start the school year.

On Monday one of my student's parents came and knocked on the classroom door before school. I knew that the mother was being admitted to the hospital that day to prepare for her surgery. She has cancer and had major surgery on Wednesday in hopes to remove it before it could spread to the rest of her body. (The surgery went well!) Immediately the parents, whom I know from church, started telling me how encouraging I had been to them already and that they were praying for me. I couldn't believe my ears. A woman with cancer standing on my classroom doorstep telling me how she was praying for me. I told them I was praying for their sweet family and their son who is in my class. They left shortly after to go directly to the hospital. It was an encouraging, but bittersweet way to start the day. 

While waiting for my students I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I couldn't help but think "In a few moments 13 students will walk through these doors and I have been given the task of teaching them. Am I ready?" They arrived we shook hands, exchanged high fives, and even a few hugs. Then the day began.

Things didn't go as planned, of course. What school day goes exactly as planned? But it went well. After that day I could tell this year was going to be a great one. 

I have 15 students, but only 14 in class currently. One will join us during the second quarter. I started the year with 13 in class, but on Thursday another beautiful girl joined the class. I have 11 boys and 3 girls in class right now. Later another boy will be added This means that my class has an incredible amount of energy! 

I have students that are still fighting over things from last school year. Ones that follow others around the room throughout the day. One who gives the student beside him back massages all day. But they are wonderful. They make me smile at all times, even when I am getting on to them for not listening. My class is full of energy. Most of them are always moving in some way. They are full of joy. Laughter is heard throughout the day, sometimes for no reason at all. 

I look at my students and think how lucky I am to be able to teach and love them at this point of their lives. I also am so blessed by the fact that this week I shared the Gospel with my class twice. One point the class turned into them asking me a variety of questions about God and Jesus. How many teachers can say that about their first week of school?

I am so thankful for the staff here. This week I had not been sleeping well, hardly at all, for no reason in particular. Several teachers and assistants prayed for me throughout the week. Many would ask me about how I slept when I got to school. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love the staff here. 

I'm thankful for friends who I know were praying for me last week. I promise that your prayers were certainly felt.  

One week of teaching down, a lifetime to go! And I couldn't be happier about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment