Saturday, July 7, 2012

My day. This one is for the record books.

This morning I woke up at 8:30 am. Got ready to go, and such. went to lunch at Taco Cabana, went to the airport. And then the fun started...


So found out my bag was slightly over weight. While shifting things around I found the security tag still on my rain jacket I bought sometime in June. We go through security, Mom got her hands checks for chemicals. Got to our gate with plenty of time. 


Then they tell us our flight was delayed due to weather. Then it gets delayed again. And again. And just one more time. So now our 5:15 flight is leaving at 7:24. That means we are landing in Atlanta at about 10:20 to catch our 10:45 flight to Nigeria.


While on the plane a flight attendant said they normally hold international flights if it's the last one for the night and a connecting flight was delayed. Well this was not the case.

We arrive at 10:20 pm. Get off the plane at about 10:30. RAN through the Atlanta airport to the shuttle, RAN from shuttle to our gate. I turn the corner to see the door to our gate closing. The flight attendants all look at me like I was a poor lost puppy and say "Awwwwww. You just missed it."

Yep. We missed our flight.

So we go to the desk. They tell us they can't help us because our flight was delayed for weather. So my mom books a hotel. Then we are told they will get us a free hotel. We can't cancel our reservation. The next flight to Lagos Nigeria is at 10:45 pm the next day. A full 24 hours later. So then we take our time getting to the shuttle because we did a lot of running around. We get to the place where all the shuttles for hotels are, and they tell us  our shuttle just left. And guess what? He didn't come back.

So another driver comes goes twice. So he offers to take us on his next round. We go with him. Well this guys gas light was on, so we were just waiting for the van to break down. That didn't happen. But he did run three, yes three, red lights. The first two while others cars were driving around. The third Mom, Allison and I were the only ones in the van. He asked "Do you see any cops? These lights keep getting longer and longer..." Then proceeds to run the light.

We get to our hotel and the shuttle driver is in the lobby and asked why we didn't ride with him. We explain. We get checked in, I realize I my toothbrush is in my checked bags. Get a toothbrush from the desk guy. Wee get to our room, and our key doesn't work. Why? Because the hotel key maker doesn't work of course.

FINALLY make it in our room about 12. I call my dear friend Jesse who is in Atlanta with Go Tell to see if he is free tomorrow to spend time with us, to find out he left Atlanta this morning and is now in Texas. My mom realizes she left her phone charger in her suit case. Allison realized she left her camera. My mom gets ready for bed and wants to take an advil for her knee and found that all of her pills had spilled in her purse.

It's just one of those days.

Tomorrow we are going to find somewhere to take the security sensor off my jacket. And we may do some exploring of Atlanta. But you better believe we will be at the airport early in case anything else happens.

I'm currently waiting for our hotel to catch fire, or for the zombie apocalypse or something along those lines.

Throughout most of this long crazy day the song I've had stick in my head is "Love You Sworn" by John Mark McMilan. The part I keep singing is "Harbor me in the eye of the storm. I'm holding on to the love You sworn." I love it. God is so nice. He reminded me all day long that I am in the eye of the storm, and He has sworn to love me. How great? He knew this was going to be a long day and I would need to be reminded. Don't try to tell me my God isn't a personal God.




Just to add, I went to check my grades from summer school. The website is down for maintenance.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha Greatness! God has some awesome plans for His baby girl who has such a great attitude! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete