Monday, May 30, 2011

Holding Hands Walking Through the Jungle.

I can't yet describe a normal day here, because every day has been different. So I will do my best to describe my days here.
Be woken up by my two roomies, Terry and Ugo, around 6:15. Terry is 4 years old and Ugo is 5. I have to bath Terry because he wet the bed. Make sure they get ready for school, and send them down to eat breakfast by 7, the bus leaves at 7:30 for school. 


My Roomies and Me!
I try to go back to sleep, but never can. So I go to the kitchen and talk to some of the guys there. Oh my goodness they are so funny! They are trying to teach me Igbo, which they find just hilarious. I am learning some though! Which is exciting!
I hang around and read my Bible and/or journal when most people are still asleep. And then go talk to the guys more. We eat breakfast, and do some random things. Eat lunch at 2. The kids get home between 3 and 4. While sometimes around noon I hear. It just depends on when the teachers decide to be done. From what I hear the teachers here are awful. Which breaks my heart. They kids love to get out the Leap Pad Reader Thingy and practice reading. They also LOVE to be read to. But they aren't learning very much at school. But they really do love to learn!
After the kids get back we hang out, play a lot of Mother may I?, and “go to market” which you know as Go fish. I taught them how to play and they changed it to go to market because it makes more sense to them. It is so funny to hear the kids yell “GO TO MARKET!” I love it!
I played soccer yesterday with some of the kids! They say I did pretty good. I did do pretty good for my first time playing in a few years. We play barefoot on a sand field. The field has the most amazing view! One side is the jungle. The other three have “mountains.” My Texas mind calls them mountains, but I'm not sure if they are considered hills or mountains. But either way It's just plain beautiful! I will try to take my camera out there so you can enjoy it too!
I have not officially been proposed to yet. But both my roomies and several other boys have told me that they are going to marry me. So no worries yet Mom!
My favorite thing here is when the kids grab my hands. We will be walking somewhere, or just sitting, and one will come up and grab my hand tight. Makes. Me. Melt. Every dang time. My favorite memory so far is walking with a kid on either side walking hand in hand through the jungle while it was raining. It was truly a beautiful thing.
Every night the kids have prayer. They sing a few songs and pray. Which I also love SO MUCH. I can't put it into words. I just love it. Goodness. They prayed for me for weeks before I came, did I tell you that? Isn't that the sweetest? I think so.

Tomorrow I am going to the market to get some skirts made! I'm excited!

I love you!

Pray for:
-Kara coming this week
-I would finish adjusting to the time difference. I have just about done it, but I still have some trouble.
- The kids! But especially the older kids. The oldest is 15, the youngest is about a year and a half. But some of the older ones have seen so much before they came here. And it breaks my heart in every way to hear the stories. Maybe I'll share one later.   


Pictures take FOREVER and a day to upload! So I'll try to post some randomly!

3 comments:

  1. You amaze me, Brie. I loved reading this, and I am so glad these kids have you. Take good care.

    Love,
    Carla Cancilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful blessing for all of you. What is your official mission? Love your writing style. I'll keep up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My "official mission" is to help out at the orphanage.

    ReplyDelete