Friday, June 24, 2011

AKA The Kind of Things I'll tell stories about.

Here's a list of random things I think you should know, want to know, or things I want to remember. aka the kind of things I'll tell stories about:

I made up an awesome story about a mustache the other night to tell Terry and Ugo. It was Ugo's turn to pick the bed time story topic and he said some word Kara and I didn't understand, and once getting Thank God to translate we found he wanted a story about a mustache. SO Max the Mustache was born.

I'm getting to be an expert story teller.

Chris Brown is very popular here. I laughed out loud when I heard that.

Not all orphans' parents are dead. In fact many kids here have at least one parent alive. But their parent, or parents, didn't want them or couldn't take care of them. So they just gave them away. WHAT? If that statement doesn't break your heart I don't know what will.

I love it here more than I could ever tell you. THIS is where I was created to be. I realize I have only been here a short time, but still. It's true.

Kara and I are beginning to plan for VBS. It is a very different process here. There isn't materials to do “normal American” crafts. And the materials they do have the kids don't know how to use. So we have to plan to do much of the craft.

We also don't eat meat very much. And for a carnivore like me this is a sad day. Expect tuna. Shelby I hope you smiled at this.

My hair is always a mess. I miss my straightener. That's one thing I deeply miss from the U.S. I understand that sounds super shallow, but it's true.

I am at a place where there are no “big African animals.” So no giraffes, but there are a lot of lizards!

The people here are hilarious! Seriously. I laugh all day long. I also laugh for a good part of the night, because I sit and talk, and help, to whoever is cleaning the kitchen.

There are no dairy products here. No cheese. No milk. No nothing. The only cheese I have had here is some Velveeta. I really miss cheese too. Like seriously.

We may be getting 3 new kids soon. Which is exciting! But also sad. A woman recently died. One of the kids is her 10 year old daughter, and the other 2 are her grandchildren. Her older daughter don't have the means to take care of her children so they may come here soon. The grandchildren don't speak much English, so if and when they come it will be an interesting experience.

I have begun to teach the older boys multiplication. They are given the answers ALL the time in school, so they don't know these very well. It seems to be going well.

They LOVE the fact I'm teaching them math. They ask about our lessons all the time. I missed today due to Kara being sick and also going to the hospital to visit a woman. So today Dajan asked if we could do the lesson tomorrow. On Saturday. What American kid would ask to have a lesson on Saturday? Pretty much none.

Dajan gives the BEST hugs ever. You are all missing out.

I haven't gotten a sunburn yet!

I'm sorry this is so long, but I have been writing and adding to it for quite some time.

I just love you guys. I love getting online and seeing all sorts of encouragement on facebook, on here, and in email.

Sooner or later I want to have a blog answering some of the random questions I know y'all have. So ask away! On comments, email, facebook. Just let me know if you have any questions and I'll try my best to answer them!

It's past midnight here and I need sleep. Goodnight!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Brie :) I gotta tell you that my heart melted a little inside when I read this...

    Headed to camp TOMORROW...and I'm thinking about when you were in my group with your "story for everything"...so this is the perfect little nugget of "Brie story time" to take with me haha

    I know those kids sure are blessed to have you with them...so much more blessed than they will ever know!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl. Remember multiplication tables are perfect set to song. You know like 7 x 8 is 56...
    No cheese, and not much meat, and you love it.
    Now, that is definitely a God thing.
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know Brie it blows your mind that some parent who is still alive would give up their child. It is a thought that could haunt me as well. There have been several other times I can think of that it has happened on a wide scale. In England during the war parents would ship their children off from the big cities to escape the constant bombings, and also during the depression parents gave their children up, so the kids would hopefully be fed and survive. I can think of times now that I know of a parent, who because of terrible things in their lives that can not be helped know that their child would really be better somewhere, anywhere but with them. What love, what incredible love.
    I hope those parents who want to are allowed and encouraged to visit with their children. It brings tears to my eyes to think about the circumstances that make that a decision that they must face. Try and help those kids feel the incredible love that was bestowed on them, and not to take it as being abandoned. It is so much the opposite!!! Your cousin Daniel from Chicago was left on a corner in Korea, where kids were often left, when the parent could no longer feed them. He was so malnourished and unwell. What a loving Mom or Dad to give your child away for the well being of your child.

    That could be a stumbling block for their entire life, if they can't see it with a different focus. Amazing love, and what grief the parents must suffer!!!
    Love you my most treasured daughter,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete