Monday, June 27, 2011

Brie Meegan and the Joy Thief.

 Before I left someone said that sooner or later I will see something that will take away my joy, and they hoped it would be in Africa. They said they wanted this to happen for two reasons, maybe I'll “grow up” and also maybe it would end my dream of Africa.
This summer so far I've met kids who seen people tortured to death, who have been rejected by their families, who have been abused, who survived only because of they worked to find food. All before the age of 12. I have gone to the hospital to see, and pray for the woman who got a shot to abort her baby. She bled for over a week and almost died because of it. I hear several times a day the worship of a local cult crying out to their god. I walk past a pagan shrine every time we go to the field to play soccer.
If something exists that could take my joy away I feel like I heard about it, prayed for the person, and often met the person. And still I continue to learn more.
And yes it breaks my heart beyond belief. And it steals my happiness. But never does it touch my joy.
My happiness is found in a child's smile or laugh, having clean clothes, waking up and finding that Terry did not wet the bed, having African clothes made. It is stolen by a child's cry, realizing I have to wash clothes, Terry wetting the bed again, waiting another day for my clothes, and finding out we are having yam and beans for dinner again...
My happiness is found through earthly things. It can be a roller coaster, with highs and lows. But my joy? My joy has nothing to do with this world. It is not found in any human being, or thing, or even being in Africa. If my joy was found in earthly things it would have been ripped from me long ago.
My joy is found solely in the Lord. He is what fuels me. He keeps me breathing in and out. Without him I doubt I could move due to the depression this world would cause. It would be more than crippling. But guess what? “Do not be grieved for the joy to the LORD is your strength.” Nehemiah 8:10. If that joy is my source of strength how could I not be full of joy? How could I not jump at the chance to follow Him, to Arlington or to Africa? How could I contain myself if He is my joy and my strength? Tell me how your still sitting there and trying to find joy in the world? Please. It's fleeting. It fills you with false hope and then crushes you.
I thank God that no matter what happens, no matter what I see, no matter how much death I face head on. Yes I may be heart broken, in fact I pray for a broken heart for what breaks His heart. It keeps my humble, it keeps me close to him. Psalm 34:18 “ The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.”

I hope and pray you find your joy in the Creator and the Savior, and not in this world. 

11 comments:

  1. Brie your amazing. And i am so proud of you and for being an outstanding follower of the Lord. And I hope your joy is only strengthened and that you go to where God needs you ,even if that is in Africa. Whoever could say such a cruel thing needs to think hard about what's important, their selfish desires or the amazing things God can do through you. I love you brie you are my sister and I will be there to back you up even if I have to walk through fire. I will not cut your dreams down nor stand in the way of what Christ calls you to do. I love you ! Love Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am REALLY glad that you love it in Africa! And I hope you have a good time the rest of your 'spend' in Africa!!!

    p.s., this is Elizabeth E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well my girl...I am sad that Africa did not allow a little cushion for all the "real" things it had you deal with. Life is so hard, and when to the very young it seems really unfair.
    Of all the things you have to give the most important is Him. Remember the Joy of the Lord is my strength, and He can be theirs. Share your smile and His joy. Be contagious with His love.
    Help them to see that the past can not rob you anymore unless you allow it. The future is yet to be...
    Miss you,
    Chin up, Joy on, Go show Africa Him not you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. My beloved niece...how?? at your age can you be so profound? At 42 I am still stumbling around. You have been definitely blessed with focus, patience, insight and massive amounts of kindness. Can't wait to hear more details of your fabulous trip. Love Aunt Terese

    ReplyDelete
  5. No one can take your joy or dream from you. I admire your courage and that you carry on when you see others having such hardships. God is bring them joy through you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brie, that is beautiful and so true. God has grabbed your heart and has given you His heart for the suffering. May He magnify your efforts and allow much joy in the lives of those you touch. To Him be all the Glory !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - so profound and wise for your age girl. We are soo proud of you. You are definitely making a difference not only for those in Africa but to all that read your words and everybody you have touched. Love ya!! James & Reneah

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVEEEEEEE YOU!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing insight because God gave you the gift to see His world as it is, not just as you wish it is! You are such a special person. Blessing and safety to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HHHHAAAPPPPPPYYY BIrthday baby sister!!!!!!!!wish you were here. have a wonderful 21st birthday
    love chris and misty

    ReplyDelete