Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Insert Catchy Title Here.

I don't remember the last time I posted, so it's about time right?

Well Sunday is Father's Day, and I most likely wont post before then again. So I wanted to give a shout out to the man who gave me my red hair, sense of humor and so much more. Dad here's to you. I love you my fellow uncrazy person left in the world! Thanks for once again for letting me go out in our Father's name for the summer. I love you bunches! And I miss you dearly!

We have started planning for VBS here. Which is a very different process than in the States. A lot of churches will buy a package that has lots of things predone. But here, those aren't available. So we plan the theme, the lesson, the crafts, the games, the music, the snacks. EVERYTHING. And planning the crafts are also a whole different story as well. 1. A lot of standard craft supplies isn't here. We are having a group the is coming bring paper plates, paper bags, and a bunch more. 2. Many of the kids here have never made a type of craft like this. In the U.S we grow up learning how to glue, use scissors, and such. Not true here. So we have to make super duper simple crafts and plan on making half of them.
And kids learn a bunch of games at schools and other places. Well the games we know and love they don't know here. Remember, I taught them Go Fish and how to thumb war. So the games we are planning have to be simple to explain and still loads of fun. Oh one of the staff and I are in charge of games. I'm stinkin pumped! Last year they did tug of war and it was the first time the kids had done it and I have been told they LOVED it. So we are doing it.

Here everyone is all about what church can do for them. How can they go to church and be blessed? Or healed? Or get money? Many of the churches are named things like “Day of Bliss.” They will advertise about some preacher who heals everyone, and how everyone who attends that church gets money. It's all about show. They don't care about anything other than what God will do for them.
I said that so you will understand our theme. “The Power of God.” People wont come if the theme is about space, or hiking through the forest. They want glory, but they want it for themselves. So we are going to teach about the TRUE power of God.
Last year was the first time they did VBS, and it was the first time EVER it was done in the area. About 200 kids came last year, so we are expecting much more. Sp pray as we get ready and plan and prepare things. That God's true power will be shown and people will come to know the true Him.

Keep praying for the kids! They are just so precious. Tokshi and I spent like an hour last night just sitting and talking. Oh goodness it was wonderful. I seriously love him a ton. Tokshi is 12 years old and wants to be a teacher. I told him I want to be one too and plan on coming back to Africa to teach and he lit up. Pray especially for Tokshi please. I'm not sure why but he is real heavy on my heart and has been for about a week or so. I put his picture on my last blog, I'm pretty sure. I spend a pretty good deal of time with him and love him more each time.

I love you. And thanks for all the prayers I know you're sending up. I'm so very grateful!

What just happened at the table:
Kara: “Chase are you putting you're Mac Daddy on?”
Chase and I confused looks.
Kara: “He's Iming.”
Chase: “To my grandma!”
This went down like 5 seconds after Chase said he was talking to his grandma...

1 comment:

  1. hey lil sis, hope your having a great time! i love you

    ReplyDelete