Thursday, June 9, 2011

Worst nightmare, and sweet dreams.

My worst nightmare came true today. The kids found out I was ticklish. How this happened was that Tokshi, 12 years old, was sitting on my lap outside. I was messing with him and tickling him and then he reached back and tickled me. I tried SO HARD not to react at all, but when I did he yelled “WOAH OH!” I wish you could hear how they say this, I just love it. And then began to tickle me more.
After a game of Little Sally Walker, which they love by the way, some of the boys tried to take my Nutri- C bracelet. [Nutri-C is powder you put in your water to make it taste amazing. In some packages there are bracelets. I got one today.] While trying to steal my bracelet I started to run upstairs to our flat. About 6 or so boys were chasing me tickling me the whole way.
When half way up the stairs Swardat blocked the staircase with his body. When I was trying to move him the others took advantage and all began tickling me. I hit the ground. They thought this was the funniest thing to ever happen. And they kept tickling me. So I lay on the ground in the staircase, still sore from yesterdays soccer game, trying to breathe. While I'm yelling for Kara to help they just yell “Don't come Kara! Don't come!” She only hears them yell her name and stays upstairs. Luckily Tochi, a staff member, came to my rescue. I handed him my bracelet so they were chasing him while I made my get away upstairs.
So now the cat is outta the bag. I'm ticklish. So the rest of the night they would randomly come tickle me...
At some point I took over the nightly job of giving out band aids. I'm not when this happened exactly, but it happened none the less. So every night after prayer I scoot my way into the tiny bathroom and begin to put bandages on various wounds. [Any type of scratch, cut, etc is a wound. And band-aids are bandages. Makes things seem a little dramatic at times.] Last night Chuks, a staff member, did it while I was doing something. I walk in to check on the progress...There were several kids who had multiple bandages on a small cut. Tokshi had a big gauze pad and was taping it to his ankle. Other bandages wouldn't stay so this must be the only answer right? While he was cutting the tape with a large kitchen knife. It may sound awfully dangerous here, and it wasn't the best idea. But it was rather humorous to see. I asked Chuks what happened and he said “What? They can't do it?” I laughed and took over once again.
Well this job often carries over into the morning because someone has a new wound, or someone's bandage fell off in the night. So after Kara and I get Terry and Ugo ready for school I lay back down and wait for a knock. Like this morning someone knocks and I ask “Who is it?” And I hear “Brie! It's Dajohn! Get me a bandage!” Which is exactly what I told him to say if I was in bed when he came.

Speaking of Dajohn, he gives the best hugs EVER. And he gives them often. They say good morning, good afternoon, and good evening here. Even if they see you all three times, and if they left for a minute they will come back and greet you again. Greetings= a big deal. You are seen as rude if you don't greet. While every time Dajohn greets me he gives me a massive bear hug. He is 11 I think. And has the biggest smile. But every morning, afternoon, and night before bed, he sees me smile that adorable smile and hugs me so tight I can barely breathe. Goodness. He is also an amazing little soccer player.  


This is where we play soccer. I love it a little more every time we go. 


This is Jurbe and Tokshi. I mentioned Tokshi so I'm giving you a face. He is trying not to laugh in this because one of the boys was trying to run in and photo bomb. 
Both are 12 years old. 

It's almost midnight here, and my computer is about to die so goodnight from Nigeria! 


1 comment:

  1. Brie, you are such a beautiful person! Keep the stories coming. I love your stories and the beautiful faces that accompany them. :)

    ReplyDelete